After nearly a year of acquiring half a tree worth of architects designs, planning permissions, quotes, estimates, charts and samples, the builders have arrived to extend our house in Stratford upon Avon. In the immortal words of B's hero, Bob the Builder; "Can we build it......".... let's see!On day one, four very hard-working men from our builder, Sibbasbridge, cleared the existing deck and dug the footings 1.3M deep. In the process, they uncovered the remains of what appears to be a 13th century wall that may have been the boundary to Holy Trinity Church, which is approximately 150 yards away. Holy Trinity Church is usually referred to as "William Shakespeare's church" - he is buried here, along with his family. I suppose our extension will be built on pretty solid foundations! I'm going to see if I can find out more about the layout of the church from the 11th century onwards to discover how our land was once connected to the church.

2 comments:
Nice ! I hope the National Trust doesn't find out about this! There's probably a secret tunnel down there leading into the basement of Holy Trinity Church.
Hmmm. Good point. Maybe I shouldn't advertise the fact to our local planning department or English Heritage! I guess this goes to show that pretty much all of England has been built on before at some point in its long history.
Post a Comment