On August 4th, I plan to walk 146 miles from the birthplace of Shakespeare, about 600 yards from our house here in Stratford Upon Avon, to his first theatre situated on the South Bank of the river Thames in London.... in nine days.
It's a long distance path called, not unsurprisingly, "Shakespeare's Way". It meanders through, in my humble opinion, some of the most gloriously beautiful countryside in England called The Cotswolds, including towns such as Chipping Norton, Woodstock, Oxford, Marlow, Windsor and Kew, culminating in a final stretch along the Thames past Westminster to the Globe Theatre.
Linking this huge network of individual public right's of way together was the work of an incredible gentleman called Peter Titchmarsh, who lives in Stratford. He also founded the "MacMillan Way", a walk of 290 miles that links the west and east coast's of England. Both the "Shakespeare's Way" and "MacMillan Way" are dedicated to the work of two similar charitable organizations (Shakespeare Hospice and Macmillan Nurses) that provide palliative care to people with terminal illnesses, enabling people to receive the best possible hollistic support as they die. I'll be doing this walk to raise money for the Shakespeare Hospice, so be prepared to give generously!
Each day, I plan to walk between 15 and 20 miles, depending on the terrain and places to stay. I haven't decided yet whether I'll camp, B&B or do a combination of both. I need to spend a couple of evenings studying the maps.
The walk is nearly all through countryside, so it will take a lot of navigation. Anyone who has walked in "the real country" around England will know that there are occassional signs along fences, on gates and near roads, but the route will almost entirely require a large scale map, concentration and a bit of luck (aka a GPS!).
It will also require a better level of fitness than I currently have. Urgh. Most people, if not all, could walk 20 miles in a long day over a gently undulating landscape. But everything feels a little stiff the following day -- so after nine days of solid walking without a rest day, I fully expect that its going to be a little challenge.
So to ensure that it doesn't turn out to be a week of blisters and flayling legs (this is my idea of holiday, afterall!), I'm going to spend a couple of months getting in shape. How hilarious is that?!
Tomorrow, I'm going on my first run!!!
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment