Tuesday, September 18, 2007

DAY NINE: Kew Bridge to the Globe Theater

I couldn't wait to get going on the last day, even though this meant that I would finish earlier. It was 7am when I left Kew Bridge; the early morning sun took the chill off the night.


There was no one around, but the river was already quite busy with rowers. I suppose they have to be up early to take advantage of the river before it becomes a busy navigation through the city. There were also a couple of folks with metal detectors looking very pleased with whatever they had found under the mud that morning.



The entire 16 mile stretch to the finish was along the Thames Path, another long distance path. I didn't have a map for this section -- a mistake in hindsight, because the path actually weaved in and out of tiny London streets where access was denied on the river frontage. It took a considerable amount of time to work out how to get around obstacles, and I had to cross the river more than once to keep heading east.


I was also surprised by how many rural many stretches of the Thames Path there were, despite being in London. It's amazing what you find when you get out of the car!


I stopped for breakfast at Fulham Football Club. Their stadium is on the banks of the river. Luckily, there wasn't a match on today, otherwise it would have been a challenge dodging the crowds.


Many of the houses along the river have permanent flood defenses. I understand that flooding occurs quite frequently along this stretch, so the houses have waterproof gates and sealed glass frontages to keep the river water out. I guess it's only going to get worse, and we could all probably learn a thing or two from how these savvy home owners have kept the elements at bay. Of course, the best home in a flood -- a house boat!


There were also some good wall scribbles.



The vast majority of the banks are developed into fancy housing, but some industrial landmarks still remain, like the Battersea Power Station. This is also to be redeveloped soon.


If the first 14 miles of this section was notable because of how quiet the parks and path was, the last three miles was exceptional because of how busy it was. I walked past the London Eye, South Bank center, houses of parliament and the Museum of Modern Art. This entire area is awash with tourists. Again, it was strange -- but nice -- to be in such a crowded environment again.




As I approached the finish, I got a great surprise; dressed in "well done" T-shirts, I got a big pat on the back from Kate, B and my extended family. It was really great!


On the way home, I really couldn't believe that the months of training, planning and the days of walking had come to an end so quickly. It had been an incredible adventure. I had enjoyed every single minute of it. We had raised a bag of cash for a worthwhile charity in the process. It felt great.


Now, about the next walk......

TOTAL MILES WALKED: 158.69
TOTAL KM WALKED: 255.39
TOTAL STEPS: 290,431
TOTAL CALORIES: 13,746
TOTAL HOURS WALKED: 48.75hrs

No comments: