Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Northern Ireland's Skeleton in the Closet

I spent every Summer of my childhood in Northern Ireland. I have a lot of fond memories of those summers; fishing, swimming, walking and, later, enjoying the 'craic' into the early hours. I also have not so good memories; watching a cloud of smoke rise from yet another bomb in the center of Belfast as our boat docked, families destroyed forever by the Enniskillen memorial day bombing and heated debates about the future of the province.

I revisited Ireland two weeks ago to attend the funeral of my Grandmother. I was surprised by how much had changed in the last decade since the Good Friday Agreement and the peace that followed it. But I also saw how much hadn't changed too. Fierce nationalism, stoic patriotism and religion continues to be a divisive issue. I can't quite believe that the majority of schools still segregate protestants and Catholics.

So it was with a very heavy heart I read of the killing of two British soldiers earlier this week, and then the subsequent murder of a PSNI police officer. Politicians of all parties have strongly denounced the murders, but 30 years of conflict in Ulster taught us all that words didn't really deter men with Kalashnikovs.

I can only hope for the people of Northern Ireland that the people who committed these crimes are caught quickly and the bad old days remain in the history books.


Photo: Cavendish Island

No comments: