Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Surreal to the sublime



I woke up this morning to the sound of dogs barking. Now that wouldn't be odd if I was at home, but I was on the 34th floor of a hotel. I listened intently and it was definitely barking. It really didn't seem like the type of hotel to be pet-friendly (Hobbes would have had a great time if it was!), so I looked out of the window. What I saw was quite surreal; a dog run on the top of a 10+ story building that was situated right underneath my window. I did say that the density of building in Tokyo was incredible! Look for the little dots (dogs) in the picture of the roof of a tall building.

After an insightful meeting a very bright executive from Nikkei, the largest and most influential media organization in Japan (and the biggest publisher in the world!), I flew to Hong Kong. Unfortunately, the 5+ hour day flight meant that I didn't arrive in Hong Kong until very late. The flight did provide me with a chance to catch-up on 180 or so emails from the past three days (yes, past three days!) and prepare for my meeting with our local team here in the city. And tonight has been very busy because our firm announced that we have broken the $1 billion dollar in revenue ceiling -- wonderful news!

I did take a short walk around the hotel to get some air before bed. Hong Kong, from the tiny amount that I have seen in the cab in between the train station and my hotel on waterfront, is very much like Manhattan. Huge sky scrapers, neon lights and very sophisticated -- and right on the water. I took the picture of the tall buildings from outside the hotel. I hope to see a little more on the way to office tomorrow morning.

No comments: