Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Meindl - forgiven, but not forgotten

During my summer walk from Stratford upon Avon to London, my trusty Meindl boots literally fell apart. They were among the best Meindl manufacture, so I was shocked that they only lasted 50+ days of walking in 5 years. Sadly, Meindl couldn't replace the boots "on route", so it was down to my friend from the US to save the day by lending me his own boots for the remainder of the walk.

When I returned home after the walk, I mailed the boots to Meindl in Germany for "assessment". I didn't hold out much hope. But, much to my surprise, four weeks later my boots returned -- completely repaired and with a new lease of life! Meindl had completely replaced the Vibram soles, cushioning and, most importantly, the heavy duty lining that molds the sole to the Goretex/leather upper of the boot. The repair had been completed with incredible craftsmanship (see my previous note on why I only buy German equipment where possible). I slipped the boots back on (new inners had also been supplied) and I felt the familiar hug of my trusty climbing boots -- but with the reinvigorated support of new soles. The repair had been completed for free.

So, it's fair to say that I'm really impressed with Meindl's response. As a company, they have reinforced my belief that they are among the finest makers of 3/4 season boots for mountains. They are much better, in my opinion that Zamberland or Scarpa (with the exception of expedition boots, of course). As I prepare to wax my boots again for an upcoming climb in the Lake District, I can honestly say that I forgive Meindl for letting me down. But forget? No.

No comments: